December 30, 2012

Roasted Cauliflower Soup

I prefer recipes with minimal steps. I'm more likely to make it again and again and who wants to a sink full of dirty dishes? This recipe is an exception to my-not-so strict rule. This soup calls for roasting the vegetables before cooking them in broth. I usually prefer to make all soups in my slow cooker, but the roasting imparts loads of flavors and it's worth doing on a Sunday when your team is definitely out of the playoffs.

The flavors of this soup seem Middle Eastern to me, but I've already proven that isn't something I know much about it. Still, the honey at the end makes the finished product worthy of company.


Ingredients & Tools
  • 2 heads of cauliflower
  • 1 large onion [I had 2 medium-sized ones; perhaps I should start measuring onions in cups]
  • 6 cups of liquid [I used 2 cups of homemade chicken stock and 4 cups of water]
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons turmeric
  • 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
  • 4 tablespoons curry powder
  • honey
  • olive oil
  • 2 baking sheets or roasting pans
  • large stock pot
  • immersion or traditional blended
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. The high temperature will produce excellent color and that brown color means flavor.




Chop the cauliflower and onion. It produces a lot. Split it evenly in two roasting pans or baking sheets. If you overcrowd one pan, the vegetables will steam instead of roast and you won't get the browning.

I used one pan and my dutch oven, since I needed the latter later in the recipe and it's one less thing to wash. Take the wins where you can.

Drizzle the vegetables liberally with olive oil and toss with your hands.

Roast for 30 minutes. Set a timer for 15 minutes and give everything a good toss at the half way mark.


Add the beautifully roasted vegetables to a large stock pot. 


Add the cayenne pepper, turmeric, curry, and salt. 


Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes over low heat to ensure all the cauliflower and onions have been seasoned.


Add the stock and the water. You could easily make this vegan by only using water or vegetable stock. If you use 100% stock, you may want to adjust the salt depending on the salt content of the stock.

Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over a low flame for 20 minutes. This lets the cauliflower soften and the liquid to absorb flavor.


Transfer the soup in small batches to a traditional blender or use an immersion blender right in the pot.


Serve this with a drizzle of honey and hope your team plays more consistently next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment