April 24, 2013

Brined & Roasted Turkey Breast

There is nearly no measuring in this recipe. You can measure if you want to, but know I'm already eating and on my second glass of wine. I don't even know if this qualifies as a recipe since it is so simple. 

Turkey is delicious and easy to make in the oven, but I have yet to tackle an entire bird. I also cook for two, so it wouldn't be very practical to wrestle with a 20 pounder.

For the brine, you'll need:
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/2 black peppercorns
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • a gallon of water 
I did not measure the water, or the peppercorns, but you should. [Or don't and the world keeps spinning]. Alton Brown taught me all the wonders of a brine. Essentially, a brine is salt solution that, through the magic of osmosis, creates a juicy protein by trapping in the moisture. There are many recipes for brines that start with stock and call for a lot of herbs and spices. Save that for November. For a weeknight meal, this simple brine makes the final dinner incredibly moist.


I let the breast hang out in the brine for an hour after work, turning it over after 30 minutes.




Ingredients & Tool
  • a brined turkey breast
  • thyme
  • sage
  • rosemary
  • garlic powder
  • Kosher salt
  • olive oil
  • roasting pan
  • meat thermometer 


Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Rub the turkey liberally with olive oil. Season it all over with the combination of dried herbs of your choosing or use my suggestions. Roast for 90 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.


And that's it! I added two sweet potatoes to the pan and some broccoli in another roasting pan.



If only all dinners could be made entirely in the oven. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment